Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Site visit. (finally!)

I hold a firm belief that you can't design for a specific person or place unless you know that person or place. Without having seen the house and talked to the the owners, I think a lot of our designs were just shots in the dark. The feedback we received from this presentation was immensely valuable and I feel like we all have an actual idea of the possibilities that exist within the project now. The powerhouse was not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting, i guess, a more livable space, something a little more homey. One of the most exciting things about the site though was the community element, I love that the neighbors are interested in using the space and integrating it further in the community, I love that one of the neighbors even stopped to introduce himself and offer some of his opinions on the project. I love the mix of foreign cultures in this midewestern-US setting and I was shocked that for one months rent at my house here in Ann Arbor, I could OWN a house and yard in Detroit.

1 comment:

  1. "...you can't design for a specific person or place unless you know that person or place." Agreed.
    "...a lot of our designs were just shots in the dark." Or a way to develop a set of problems and criteria and an opportunity to build some skills in areas that you probably wouldn't have otherwise. In any case I'm glad that the visit was so unexpected and you are so positive about it. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete