Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Week 3

Week three I switched to a new project on a team full of people that I had yet to work with. The issue we were set to address, inherited from the previous group, was security. We spent a good deal of time discussing the possibilities that exist within security without making much progress towards a concept that we were all confident in. The next day we all met again, with our own ideas to present to the group, we settled on a sort of modified security camera system that 'got to know your neighbors' through facial recognition and then had different reactions based on whether it knew the person or not and kept track of and displayed info on foot traffic around the property via an infographic-something inside the house. We didn't love how complicated the system was, Ted kept arguing that it wasn't a cohesive system, that there were to many parts and we couldn't decide on a good alternative.

I think part of our problem was team cohesion. After the first day we were never all together as a group, there were several team members who never contributed to the concept at any point during the week. Our team ended up working on really three separate projects, the solar tracker, the light box, and the led motion follower thing. I missed a sort of crucial team meeting that Sunday due to prior commitments (attached is a screen shot of my schedule for that day HAH) and my team decided to meet anyway. I'm still unclear as to what actually happened at the meeting, in any case, a modified version of the concept was decided upon and those that were there each decided upon an aspect of the modeling and presentation to work on. There honestly wasn't much to our presentation that week, I had set aside my whole Monday evening to working on the project, but it seemed that there was nothing left to be done. It was a strange and frustrating week and I don't think any of us were happy with what we presented, I guess I can't really speak for the rest of my team, but I was unhappy with what we presented and I'm not really sure what I could have done differently to affect the come besides coming up with a fantastic idea early on or skipping my meetings on Sunday to be with the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment